Fix quota for BCs, says Mayawati

Tribune News Service
New Delhi, June 28

Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and senior Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Mayawati today demanded that a reservation quota for the backward and most backward classes be fixed according to the population of Uttar Pradesh. While demanding a separate quota for the most backward classes, she said that her party would support a Constitutional amendment for fixing such quota.

Talking to newspersons here today, Ms Mayawati lashed out at the BJP government for neglecting the aforesaid classes. She opposed the BJP’s stand of agreeing to a reservation quota of 15 per cent for most backward classes. “The most backward classes constitute 37 per cent of the total population of Uttar Pradesh which is touching 19 crore while the backward classes constitute 52 per cent of the total population. We have been raising this issue for the past four years since the BJP came to power in Uttar Pradesh. We are not begging. It is a Constitutional obligation and we will reiterate this demand during our movement next month against the policies of the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh,” she said.

Replying to a question, Ms Mayawati ruled out any electoral alliance and said that her Party would contest on its own strength in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh in the Assembly elections.

Ms Mayawati said neither the SC/STs nor the backward classes are benefitting from reservation in judiciary, the Rajya Sabha or private sector in Uttar Pradesh.

Print this Page
Print this Page
Referred by: Mukandan CM
Published on: June 29, 2001
Send e-mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
No Copyright: dalit e-forum