Hunger killed 40 in Bihar: Oppn leader
Patna, Sept 14 (PTI):The leader of the opposition in the Bihar Assembly, Mr S K Modi has claimed that nearly 40 people had died of starvation in Nawada, Muzaffarpur and East Champaran districts in the last three months and accused the Rabri government of swearing a false affidavit in the Supreme Court regarding the same.
Modi, who visited several panchayats in Rajauli sub-division of Nawada district on Wednesday, told PTI that the state government had filed an absolutely false affidavit in the apex court that none of the deaths reported from Rajauli were due to starvation. He said in Chapahel village in Rajauli, seven persons had died of hunger in the past few days.
Modi said the village was inaccessible by road and people could reach there only after crossing a river. Of these only two were cardholders and they too had not lifted grain since the issuance of the cards. He claimed that the casualties could have been more had medical aid not reached Chitarkoli, Damni, Farkaburg hardiya, Sirodnagar, Yogiabharan and Sabaitand panchayats. He charged Nawada administration with undertaking a cover-up exercise after starvation deaths.
Similarly, nearly 12 people were reported to have died of starvation in Nimitand village while three others in Girgi village under rajauli sub-division. Modi said 14 such deaths had been reported from Muzaffarpur and East Champaran districts. He appealed to the PUCL and political outfits to confirm these deaths and submit a counter-affidavit in the supreme court exposing state government's claim.
Besides, the state government must arrange for distribution of foodgrains and provide medicare to mitigate the sufferings of people in panchayats in Rajauli, he said.
Meanwhile, the state government has termed as absolutely baseless Modi's allegations about starvation deaths. There have been no starvation deaths in Nawada, an official spokesman claimed.